Monday, October 13, 2014

Autumnal Variations

I've been reflecting upon the changing season and variation in weather lately. In much of Canada this past year has been unseasonably cool. Here in southern Ontario we had a short return to normal temperatures in the fall when it got quite warm. But of late it's been cool (and we've had several frosts this past week).

Over the last week I watched the Hericium go from prime for picking to a state of decay. It is probably due to the frost, as the only lions mane I found that was edible was a tiny clump on the underside of log hidden and protected by leaf litter. 

Only a few centimeters across.
The rest of the lions mane was browning and wilting.

:(
So I looked up my photos from last fall when I first stumbled upon Hericium. Last fall (and most of last year) was warmer than this year's autumn. Night time temperatures didn't go below freezing until the end of October to beginning of November, much later than this year's first frosts. From looking at my photos from last year, the Hericium I found was prime for picking in mid-October, and started to go past it's prime into November. A much later and longer season for Hericium than we had this year!

October 12, 2013. Hericium coralloides (sp.?), approximately 25 cm across.
October 20, 2013. Hericium erinaceus (sp.?), 10-15 cm across.
November 5, 2013. Same mushroom as above.
Perhaps where you live, the weather has been warmer and you may be able to harvest some lions mane still. The season for these mushrooms is obviously very dependent on weather. A warmer fall may allow for a longer season, while a cooler one will mean getting on the trails earlier in the autumn to look for these awesome mushrooms.

Other Interesting Things To Watch For
As for other edibles I've seen some probable shaggy manes and jelly mushrooms. I have not collected any to try, as I feel I need to do more research on these kinds of mushrooms before I eat them (they have inedible look-a-likes).

Luckily though, autumn mushrooms offer up a feast for the eyes! I have been slightly disappointed this year as I haven't found many large, impressive turkey tails.

Coriolus versicolour, roughly 40 cm across. Scientists are currently researching it's ability to fight cancers. This mushroom is edible but does not taste very good though. It's common name is turkey tail because it looks like a turkey tail...
More turkey tail. October 12, 2013.
Pholiota is a common, inedible mushroom that seems to pop up everywhere in the fall. These little cuties may be poisonous, so seriously don't eat 'em.

Pholiota scamba. Caps are roughly 2-5 cm in diameter. These cuties grow in mossy/grassy areas. October 2013. 
Pholiota adiposa. Caps 3-8 cm in diameter. Found these cuties growing on an old, dying birch. 
Another cool mushroom I found last year, but have yet to see this year, was a bracket fungus commonly known as conifer blueing bracket. It prefers growing on coniferous trees, as you can probably tell from its name. Its scientific name is Postia caesia

Several cms across. October 2013.
I have read that these are edible, but have no taste, but other sources claim they are inedible. In cases like this I abstain from eating the mushroom, I will only try it if it widely regarded as edible and uncommonly causes adverse reactions in humans.

I have found mushroom identification to be very challenging and rewarding. Sometimes I find something that I can't ID.

They're just cute, OK.
Oh ya, and other stuff is pretty too. Tulip trees have become a favourite of mine.




No comments:

Post a Comment